Pollen & Allergies
If you are prone to allergic reactions or asthma, springtime pollen is just another irritant in the allergic mix. Along with pollen, irritants like pet dander, mold spores, dust mites, black mold can trigger your allergies and make your eyes water and keep you sneezing.
Seasonal Allergy Symptoms
- Runny nose or nasal congestion
- Dry, scratchy, sore throat
- Itching, burning, stinging and watering eyes
- Rashes, itching, and hives
- Lethargy and fatigue
- Swelling of the lips and eyes
Although they are different, allergies and asthma are both triggered by the same allergens. Asthma is a chronic inflammation of the lower respiratory tract that makes breathing difficult. Severe allergic reactions can result in anaphylactic shock. This is a life-threatening condition that causes the throat to swell up so much that breathing becomes difficult or impossible.
Why Staying Indoors Won’t Necessarily Reduce Common Allergic Reactions
Allergy sufferers are often advised to stay indoors and keep the house closed up tight during the springtime allergy season. Although this can shield you from the pollen outside, other allergens already on the scene in your Bluffton, SC, home can make you as miserable as the pollen outside.
How To Improve Indoor Air Quality And Reduce Indoor Allergens
Fortunately, there are some things you can do to remove allergens from your Hilton Head, SC, home and improve indoor air quality:
- Change the air filters in your air conditioning and heating systems regularly
- Invest in an air purification system with a small-particle or HEPA filter
- Keep relative humidity below 50 percent to discourage the growth of mold
- Keep your windows closed to keep pollen out
- Increase air purification by using small-particle air filters in your heating and cooling systems
Want to Prepare for Pollen Season? Call Farmer's Air
Want to learn more about keeping allergies and asthma at bay with cleaner indoor air in your South Carolina home this spring? Visit the indoor comfort specialists at Farmer’s Heating & Air Conditioning or call (843) 508-9779. We offer a variety of specials to assist with your indoor air quality service, such as $30 off any service repair.